Monday, March 19, 2007

The Host



This movie did so many things right, so many great decisions were made that challenged me during the viewing of this film.

There were also numerous decisions that perplexed me, and even turned me off to certain moments and elements the filmmaker brought into the story.

Some of the elements that I wasn't particularly fond of may have been due to culture differences, I wasn't prepared for moments of comedy that seemed a little innapropriate. Then again, when I pictured the film in english- some of the jokes seemed right out of a Larry the cable guy special.

But apart from the moments of humor that I could've done without- The Host was a really well executed film- with certain flaws that I feel kept it from being perfect.

There were things in this film, certain shots, certain well-paced sequences that I don't think could've come from an American filmmaker. At least, not a mainstream American filmmaker. Over here, genres are so processed, they are so clearly defined that a film that straddles the line between numerous genres is often looked at as confusing, muddy, or unsellable.

I shouldn't say it couldn't have come from an American filmmaker, I suppose I should say it couldn't have come from an American studio.

The film follows a Korean family as they attempt to rescue a young family member from a mutated creature that has been habitating in the local Han River.

The greatest performances come from the little girl who has been kidnapped by the monster, and her somewhat dimwitted father who struggles to be taken seriously by everyone around him- including his own family.

The reveal of the monster is clever and subtle. The score was at some times distracting and fellini-esque. The action was solid and believable. The special effects were at best- passable (never impressive) and at worst- Sci-Fi original quality.

It's a film that's worth seeing. I found myself wishing there were more "Hollywood" moments. I hate to say it, but my American sensibilities weren't served fully- and that may be a credit to the film and it's unwillingness to submit to predictability and cliche.

No comments: